*scroll down to view new posts*

click on pictures to see 'some' of the 2400 pics i took!!

Hello family and friends.

I have some exciting news! But first, a brief update. I just completed my third year of study in naturopathic medical school at the National College of Natural Medicine in Portland, Oregon. Last August, I sat for the NPLEX basic science board examination and found out in October that I passed! After 2 more years of intense study, along with numerous clinical rotations, and another seat for the three-day clinical board examinations, I will be a doctor! I have also been working on the didactic curriculum to earn a certificate in obstetrics/midwifery.

Now for the exciting part! I have been selected, along with a small handful of my colleagues, to travel on a medical volunteer trip with Naturopaths Without Borders [NWB] (in conjunction with Nature Quest India) to Northern India. For three weeks in August and Sept, we will be rotating through villages and clinics providing healthcare support. We will stay for one week in Thangaon village, where we will experience the Himalayan medicare at a grass root level, one week in Dehradun city with the urban Indian medical system, and one week in Rishikesh Ashram where will be exposed to Ayurvedic Medicine.

NWB’s mission is to provide naturopathic health care to impoverished communities, while empowering those communities through education, supporting growth and cultivating sustainable resources. The Nature Quest India mission is to provide very basic health care and build a community health care infrastructure for all the surrounding villagers.

I have created this blog to journal my trip and to post pictures so that you may follow along and share this adventure with me. I will update it as often as I can while in India. I hope that I will be able to accurately capture the experiences, sights, sounds, and feelings of this trip! Please share the blog link with those that you feel would enjoy it.

Over the last three years of my medical studies (and various international pleasure travels) I have found myself to be more and more drawn to global health and the opportunities that lie outside of our prosperous country to bring health, education and much needed compassion to my beautiful brothers and sisters in need. This experience in India with NWB will no doubt be a determining factor in how I choose to use my gift as a doctor after graduation. I am beyond excited to venture on this journey. I know that no matter what, it will be a life changing experience that I will always treasure, and that I will come back from India with a renewed spirit, a fresh perspective, and a deeper appreciation for what I have been blessed with. I will be staying with a host family and I cannot wait to be immersed in their wonderful culture.

If you find it appropriate to help support me with this unique opportunity, I will gladly accept your gracious donations. Click on the donate tab above for more info! Any amount will help! The cost of the trip is $1500.00 and the cost of the airfare is $1500.00. The money that we pay as volunteers goes directly to the clinics and host families, as well as the public health needs for the communities that Nature Quest India primarily works with.

Thank you endlessly for your support, love and encouragement. namaste ~desha

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

made it!

well, josh almost didnt. lol he had it in his head that we were leaving on tuesday instead of monday, good thing i texted him asking what our flight number was since my itinerary was packed in my checked bag.
but we made it. the plane ride was long, 11 hrs to korea from seattle and 7.5 hrs to delhi. i was an unconscious zombie for most of it.

from the airport we immediately went to the train station, which was not an ideal place to hang out for 2 hrs while we waited for our train, but thats ok. the train ride through farm lands to agra was interesting. lots to see out the window, not all of it worth dwelling on.

we explored taj mahal and the agra fort yesterday, it was indian independence day and there were literally millions of people around. i was fascinated by the red structures to the east and west of the taj that are never shown in photographs.  all of it reminded me so much of turkey so i was in heaven.

we spent the night in a nice hostel with AC. it is really muggy here, humid and sticky but certainly not unbearable... yet.
this am we are headed to khajuraho to see the famous 'sex temples'. the train to get there is a long one and will be an adventure in the least to get on it.
we head back to delhi on saturday to meet up with the program director from nature quest and receive our orientation.

oh and the food is most delishious!


No comments:

Post a Comment