*scroll down to view new posts*

click on pictures to see 'some' of the 2400 pics i took!!

Hello family and friends.

I have some exciting news! But first, a brief update. I just completed my third year of study in naturopathic medical school at the National College of Natural Medicine in Portland, Oregon. Last August, I sat for the NPLEX basic science board examination and found out in October that I passed! After 2 more years of intense study, along with numerous clinical rotations, and another seat for the three-day clinical board examinations, I will be a doctor! I have also been working on the didactic curriculum to earn a certificate in obstetrics/midwifery.

Now for the exciting part! I have been selected, along with a small handful of my colleagues, to travel on a medical volunteer trip with Naturopaths Without Borders [NWB] (in conjunction with Nature Quest India) to Northern India. For three weeks in August and Sept, we will be rotating through villages and clinics providing healthcare support. We will stay for one week in Thangaon village, where we will experience the Himalayan medicare at a grass root level, one week in Dehradun city with the urban Indian medical system, and one week in Rishikesh Ashram where will be exposed to Ayurvedic Medicine.

NWB’s mission is to provide naturopathic health care to impoverished communities, while empowering those communities through education, supporting growth and cultivating sustainable resources. The Nature Quest India mission is to provide very basic health care and build a community health care infrastructure for all the surrounding villagers.

I have created this blog to journal my trip and to post pictures so that you may follow along and share this adventure with me. I will update it as often as I can while in India. I hope that I will be able to accurately capture the experiences, sights, sounds, and feelings of this trip! Please share the blog link with those that you feel would enjoy it.

Over the last three years of my medical studies (and various international pleasure travels) I have found myself to be more and more drawn to global health and the opportunities that lie outside of our prosperous country to bring health, education and much needed compassion to my beautiful brothers and sisters in need. This experience in India with NWB will no doubt be a determining factor in how I choose to use my gift as a doctor after graduation. I am beyond excited to venture on this journey. I know that no matter what, it will be a life changing experience that I will always treasure, and that I will come back from India with a renewed spirit, a fresh perspective, and a deeper appreciation for what I have been blessed with. I will be staying with a host family and I cannot wait to be immersed in their wonderful culture.

If you find it appropriate to help support me with this unique opportunity, I will gladly accept your gracious donations. Click on the donate tab above for more info! Any amount will help! The cost of the trip is $1500.00 and the cost of the airfare is $1500.00. The money that we pay as volunteers goes directly to the clinics and host families, as well as the public health needs for the communities that Nature Quest India primarily works with.

Thank you endlessly for your support, love and encouragement. namaste ~desha

Saturday, September 8, 2012

a fabulous week in the jungle

last week we were in than gon village, which is in the jungle.
Nature Quest campus is located there and they have a school for younger children and a clinic, as well as a garden with herbs and some veggies, and the living quarters for the staff and people that come to help. the jungle is beautiful. so lush and green and full of wildlife, loved the sounds of crickets and cicadas and birds/parrots etc.
the villagers come from all over, more villages than just than gon, to be seen by the dr. the clinic will see and give medicine to anyone that walks thru their doors.
some of the patients had walked for days to be seen, because this clinic is the closest one to them. some of the cases were VERY intense. the need these people have for medical care is remarkable, even with all that nature quest has done in the area. a lot of the people wait so long to come see the dr that the disease has manifested quite severely by the time theyre actually seen, making it an urgent case, whereas if they had been able to be seen early on it wouldnt have been a big deal to treat/heal.

it was a fast paced crazy rush during clinic hours and a serene relaxing place to be when not in clinic, a very stark contrast.

of course i will expound on our experiences when i return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment